Skip to main content

350.org - 24th October 2009



As discussed at the last meeting, here is some more information about campaigns in our local area.  Click on the links for more information.

The Big Picture hosted by BREAZE in Ballarat.

ATA's 350 Photo Challenge.  Danni, and I have already submitted photos to this campaign.

and finally, on Friday 23rd October, MGC Pedal Powered Launch Party.  They are powering the event using Future Spark to generate enough electricity into the grid to power the show.  Comedian Rod Quantock will MC the entertainment and perform his show, “Bugger the Polar Bears, this is serious” starting at 7pm.  I wrote about Rod Quantocks show on a post called "Rod Quantock's Guide to Climate Change". 

As for our own campaign, I am all ears, but we will need to act fast!  Post ideas for a local Melton event via comments so that we can organise something quickly, or if we can't organise quickly enough then I can contact the Melbourne Girls College for tickets to the show on Friday, and contact BREAZE regarding attendance at the Big Picture.  Car pooling where we can of course to get to these events if that is what we choose to do.



For an explanation of what all the hullabaloo is all about, click the graph above for a simple explanation of the science of climate change and what the number 350 is all about!

I have dual posted this at both the Melton Sustainable Living Group site and The Greening of Gavin in the hope to capture the hearts and souls of concerned Melton Locals.

Gavin


Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Current Meeting Information

"It doesn't cost the Earth to be green."   The members of Melton Sustainable Living Group believe in changing the world by thinking globally, but by acting locally. The MSLG brings sustainable living to Melton Shire ensuring a cleaner, greener and more resilient community for all. The MSLG meets once a month, every 3 rd Saturday, to exchange ideas, harvests, produce, and discuss sustainable living projects.   The group provides practical knowledge and experience via workshops, about how to lower personal emissions, energy efficiency, growing your own food garden, renewable energy, frugal living, soap making, preserving food, composting, worm-farming, rainwater harvesting and the 3Rs (reduce, reuse, and recycle).   In addition to monthly meetings, documentary nights are held on the 1 st Wednesday of each month, to educate members and friends about current environmental issues facing our society.   Membership is $20 per year. Newsletters are sent ...

Backyard Chickens Workshop 16th April 2011

Yesterday, my friend Jan and I presented a workshop to the Melton Sustainable Living Group members and friends.  The workshop is one of the regular monthly activities the group holds on the 3rd Saturday of each month. I believe that it was informative and I certainly had a good time presenting it.  As requested by one of my readers on The Greening of Gavin , we captured the highlights on video and I placed it on YouTube. I hope you enjoy all the chicken antics and my presentation! Gavin Webber President, MSLG Inc.

Clay Oven Workshop

On Saturday, the group held a clay oven workshop at Gavin & Kims place which was well attended by members of the Melton Sustainable Living Group.  We had ten willing workers at our disposal, and we managed to occupy them all on various tasks during the day. So from this: To this in two hours (plus one day's drying and sand removal)! So let me step you through what we did during the workshop.  However, be warned, there are lots of photos (click to enlarge). Before everyone turned up at 10am, I received an order at 8am of 1 cubic metre of packing sand, which has a high clay content.  Kim and I had to shift this sand from the roadside to the area where we were making the oven.  It took me the good part of an hour to do this work alone.  After a cuppa and a biscuit, I made this template for the sand dome.  It is 50cm high and 85cm wide. This picture shows how the sand dome was being formed.  Four people on a quadrant building up sand. ...